Sunday, February 20, 2011

Soaked

I had pretty much come to the conclusion that the words "oven- baked" and "fries" should never be used together.   My efforts have always yielded limp, chewy results that even ketchup couldn't help. So, I stuck to roasting, mashing, and hashing until I discovered the single best tip that put fries back on the menu at the Cannizzaro house.  So, without further ado, the ultimate fry tip:


You need to soak the potatoes, I mean really soak them- for at least a half an hour.


 I know, I know, this seems completely counter- intuitive (or at least it did to me), but trust me on this one, it is the key to making crispy, delicious  oven-baked fries.


Crispy (oven- baked) Fries
Ingredients
Potatoes local if you can get them
Coconut oil health benefits 
Salt & pepper to taste


Peel (if desired) and slice potatoes into uniform slices.  Place in a bowl of water for at least 30 minutes.  Dry completely.   I use a salad spinner, but laying them on paper towels will work as well.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Line baking sheet with parchment paper (do not skip this step, or they will stick to the pan).  Place potatoes in a bowl. Toss with coconut oil, salt & pepper. Place potatoes in a single layer on baking sheet.








 Cook for 45 minutes to an hour depending on how thin you sliced them. Flip potatoes  half-way through cooking time. mmmmm. crispy.















1 comment:

  1. I bet those go well with seasoned buffalo burgers and kale salad. Just a guess.

    ReplyDelete